Monday, March 14, 2011

Why aren't we born knowing that running in the street is not funny?

There are some things that seem impossible to teach. We are born with the natural ability to breathe, blink, cry etc. so why do children not know that it hurts when you stick things in your eye and that it is not funny to run into the street? We are having the hardest time with the latter. Today I took Connor to my parent's house who live in the country so their house is set back about two acres from the street. There is a circular driveway that I have to admit begs for foot races. As we were leaving today, Connor bolted out of the garage straight to the edge of the driveway where it meets the road. My mom and I both yelled at him to stop but I always hesitate to chase him because that only seems to add fuel l to the fire and make him run faster. He stopped, turned around and started at my mom for a few seconds then took off down the street cracking up.

Have you ever seen a barefoot 60-year-old woman and a pregnant chick in flip flops running as fast as they can? Not pretty. Luckily there were no cars coming and my mom got to Connor before he made it too far but the whole incident scared the poo out of me. How do I deal with this? It is not like other behavioral problems where I warn him not to do it, he does it anyway and then he gets spanked and put in time out. If I let him do this he could get run over by a car?! I mean, we are all about spanking but potential emergency room visit or worse...not happening!!

To make things even more difficult, I am at the fat point in my pregnancy where I can't pick him up anymore and by the time I get these tree trunks moving he is 20 feet ahead of me. Is it time for a kid leash? Am I going to be one of THOSE moms?

No comments:

Post a Comment