Thursday, April 28, 2011

Convenience my ass!

Chris's company got a new flexible spending account service last month. The old one was wonderful. You just swipe the little debit card and thats it. This one is horrible. We have had it for about a month now and keep getting these "Request for substantiation documentation" notices in the mail. So then I have to call the doctor's office and ask for a copy of the itemized receipt, they mail it to me and then I have to mail it to the FSA provider. Failure to do so within 60 days results in suspension of your account. This is a PITA so I decided to call the company, Discovery Benefits, to find out why all these claims are getting flagged and what I can do to prevent it. I thought I was being so efficient and proactive.

The customer service lady said that doctors offices, dentists, hospitals etc are not set up to instantly provide the information that proves that your claim meets the IRS requirements to be FSA eligible. Most pharmacies and over the counter medications have this information built into their barcodes. So every time we swipe the card at the doctor, dentist or hospital we will get one of these fabulous documentation requests in the mail. Um, hello! What the hell do they think I am buying at the Fetal Care Center? Unfortunately they don't sell shoes or handbags there so I am obviously paying for someone to measure my uterus size and check to make sure my cervix is still closed!!! I mean, come on!!!!! So much for convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment