Saturday, December 7, 2013

Ice Storm, You Bitch!

I am crushed!  Deflated. Straight up down in the dumps.  Because of all this damn ice, the Bush family Christmas party was cancelled tonight and thus my dreams of catching a glimpse of W in person are gone. 

It's no secret that I can be a bit of a Scrooge. It's not that I don't like Christmas. It's that I don't like stress.  Or extra crap in my house. Or not being able to keep up with a any aspect of my life. Aside from the Christmas cards and, you know, the whole birth of our Savior thing, I could do without. But a couple of weeks ago we got a call from our friends Ben and Cindy (hi guys!!) inviting us to attend the Bush family Christmas party at the library with them and my scroogishness disappeared. I was ecstatic. The best part of it was that the BOYS were invited too!!  As soon as I hung up the phone my fantasies started. MY children were going to meet Laura and W (they are close family friends in my mind so that's what I call them). I could just picture it. Charlie was going to walk right up to them and W would scoop him up in his lap and give him a high five. Connor would give Laura a kiss on the cheek and she would gush and his complete cuteness and charm. Chris and I would rush up gathering our children apologetically. George and Laura would insist it was no trouble at all and would invite us over for dinner the next night just so they could spend more time with our sweet family. We would politely excuse ourselves as not to monopolize any more of their time and George himself would type my cell number into his phone so he could call the next morning with dinner details. It was going to be picture perfect. 

And then the ice storm of the century had to hit and the party was cancelled. Because this story would have totally happened if we had gone. So here I sit drinking beer and watching football instead. And I even got a new skirt to wear. Beautiful, classy and tasteful. Laura would totally approve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment