Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Creative adaptation

It is amazing to see a child grow and mature right in front of you. Over the past few weeks Connor has begun to get really creative and interested in drawing and writing. His pictures are getting more detailed and recognizable. He used to get so upset and fall apart if he messed something up or if it didn't turn out the way he intended. 

Today he told me he wanted to draw an "epartment." So he drew a tall building with a column of windows. Then hurricane Charlie scribbled on the top. Instead of the nuclear meltdown I was expecting, Connor said, "hmmm, maybe this could be a police station instead."  He drew a flagpole and a large door. "Mom, how do you spell door?"  He drew the D but it looked more like a P. Again, you could see the wheels turning. "Well, I'll just write P IS FOR POLICE instead of DOOR."  He even added a larger P on top of the building. It doesn't sound like a big deal but for the meltdown maniac, it is monumental. 

I closed my eyes for a moment to thank God for this step in my child's development

 "I'M GOING TO HEAD BUTT YOU IF YOU DONT GET AWAY FROM MY PIIIIIICCCCCCTUUUUUUURRE!!!!"  

Screech, crash, crying. 

Perhaps I basked a moment too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment