Friday, November 29, 2013

Major First World Problem

The following is the definition of first world problem:

My parents gave me a watch for my college graduation.  Not just any watch, a Rolex with a beautiful mother of pearl face.  The slightest movement of your wrist changes the sheen of the face.  I love how it never looks the same twice.  It is, without a doubt, beautiful and fantastic quality.  The best.  I have worn it nearly every day since I received it and it is one of my most prized possessions. 

Or should I say it WAS.  I am a huge klutz and have inadvertently been very hard on this watch for ten years.  About two months ago I dropped it on my bathroom floor and the face cracked.  I know it is just a "thing" and it is silly, but I cried.  The repair was covered by our insurance policy. I took it to a jeweler and they sent it off to Rolex to be repaired.  All was good in the world again...until I got a phone call telling me that my prized mother of pearl face had not been manufactured by Rolex therefore they would be confiscating it. They could replace it with a blue, black, gold or white authorized, legitimate Rolex part.  A long phone argument ensued and in the end I was shit out of luck.  I cried over a "thing" again.

I went to pick the repaired watch up today and began crying again when the jeweler pulled it out of its case. I cried not because the replacement piece was ugly or damaged but because I lost something that was special to me...sentimental...valuable.  Yes it works perfectly and it is still a beautiful, heirloom quality watch but it has lost value to me.  You see, "things"don't make us happy.  But the meaning and memories behind the "things" DO make us happy.  They give "things" value.  And for me, some of that value is gone.

Rest In Peace old gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment